Thursday, October 20, 2005

teaching a teacher

I have a lot to say.

First semester is over and I really thought that sooner or later I would be able to relate to ‘some of my students’.
Unfortunately it did not happen. Let me Give you a backgrounder-
1. We are culturally different.
2. They have this sense and an overly misconstrude meaning of the word 'independence'.
3. They do not know the meaning of the phrase 'coming-of-age'.
We ended this semester with broken hearts (well atleast ako siguradong broken hearted, about them
I am not sure).

I don’t seem to get the idea why are we so alienated from each other…why can’t I relate to them and vice-versa. As though WE CAN NEVER MEET HALF WAY.

This is the first time in my history of teaching that I cannot be understood by the students…and it is
freaking me out. THIS FOR ME IS DEFINITELY FOREIGN.

One thing that really upsets me about this generation is the lack of respect, and I mean not only
towards older people but to individuals…

I have been holding on to my principle that respect is the objective, unbiased consideration and regard for the rights, values, beliefs and property of ALL people, and I think that is very simple, well at least that is what Kant was trying to do,
simplify.

The hard part comes with the manifestation… WITH THE PRACTICE.

I know for a fact that every student has priorities and I have been enduring this pain for so long, and I think I cannot hold unto it any longer.
I am really sad, not mad but SAD about this batch, they act as though they are ‘independent’ (well actually they have stated that a thousand times in my face, but i strongly believe that we have a completely different definiton of the word indie) you see the thing is-
there will be a time that a teacher would unplug you from her/his system THAT IS THE TIME TO BE INDEPENDENT, but since you paid for the tuition, expect something in return LET THE TEACHER BE THE TEACHER.

and by the way, I AM NOUT JUST THE TEACHER...I AM THE TEACHER.

guestbook
Grace Bible Church
photos
atom
RSS